What to do when someone dies

The majority of deaths within Australia occur within a hospital or aged care facility and the staff will offer support and take care of the medical formalities and legal requirements. However, when a death occurs elsewhere, the first person that should be contacted is a doctor, who will assist in obtaining a death certificate.

In the event where a doctor is unable to sign the certificate of death, the death must be referred to the coroner. Where a reportable death occurs, that is unexpected or an accidental death, the death will be reported to the Coroner for the cause of death to be determined and confirmed.

It is a requirement by law to have a death certificate signed by a doctor or coroner before a funeral director can take the deceased into their care.

Wherever and whenever a death occurs Latrobe Valley Funeral Services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you, please contact us.