Who to notify when someone dies

When someone close to you dies it can be an overwhelming and difficult time. Do not be afraid to ask family and friends for support as there are many decisions and arrangements to be made.

As well as notifying the next of kin, along with family members and friends, the deceased’s doctor should be immediately notified to provide a death certificate. The next person to contact is the funeral director, who will need to be notified to arrange for the deceased to be transferred into their care and to begin making funeral arrangements. In the event that there is a will, the solicitor or executor of the will should be notified to begin proceedings to execute the will.

In finalising your loved ones affairs, we have provided a list of organisations and people that should be contacted when someone dies.

Financial institutions

  • Banks
  • Credit Unions
  • Mortgage or Personal Loan Lenders
  • Superannuation
  • Accountant
  • Credit Card Lenders

Home services

  • Telephone
  • Electricity
  • Gas
  • Local Council
  • Post office services & newspapers
  • Home help (meals, gardening, nursing and care)
  • Car Registration

Insurance organisations

  • Life
  • Accident
  • Home and contents
  • Vehicle
  • Health Insurance

Medical organisations

  • Doctor
  • Medicare
  • Dentist
  • Chemist
  • Ambulance

Educational and employment

  • School or college
  • Trade Unions
  • Employers

Other organisations

  • Clubs, organisations, associations and societies
  • Church and religious organisations
  • Executor of the Will

Government organisations

  • Department of Social Security
  • Department of Veteran Affairs
  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Australian Electoral Office